- Supports Key Stage 2 of the National Curriculum
- The Maths section looks at properties of shapes, co-ordinates, multiplication and division
- English section focuses on sentence construction, improving writing and understanding grammar
- The interactive science world covers curriculum topics of forces, materials, light and sound
- The progress chart monitors each of the activities and allows you to assess your child’s strengths and weaknesses
- For ages 9-10
Developed with experienced teachers, this disc provides the essential literacy and numeracy skills to help your child excel. This is step five of Dorling Kindersley’s powerful curriculum-based learning system. There are three easy-to-use steps to mastering each topic: One-to-One Lessons ò Practice Activities ò Interactive Exercises.
Learning Ladder Year 5 is another excellent CD-ROM from Dorling Kindersley. It’s aimed at children aged 9-10 and structured so that children listen to a lesson and then carry out exercises to help consolidate the literacy and numeracy they are learning at school.
Exercises can be done at five different levels of difficulty, so that children are challenged and continue to make progress. For every 400 points a child scores, they are rewarded with new pictures to use with the printing machine. As they gather more pictures they can enjoy designing their own cards, invitations and labels, which can be printed out.
Children can also have lots of fun navigating around Science City and learning lots of facts along the way. For example, they can find out about the solar system, forces and reflection. The progress tracker clearly shows how each child is getting on with a system of green and red lights. This would quickly show parents where more help is needed. —Amanda York